Home > 1 > SPAM, Damn SPAM, and SPAM Statistics.

SPAM, Damn SPAM, and SPAM Statistics.

We have all heard how SPAM is costing us money – wasted time, wasted bandwidth, anti-SPAM software, lost business emails, etc.

Recently I have discovered (unfortunately) anew way. My ISP just notified me that I am violating their acceptable use for incoming SMTP connections – they limit to 5000 per day – I am receiving up to 8000. They want to charge me an additional $30 per month to separate my hosting platform to its own server – that is $360/year to accommodate SPAM. After being a customer of theirs for seven years (yes, 7!), they will terminate my service unless I solve the overuse.

A FICTITIOUS COMPARISON
I liken this problem to a random 100 people from every country in the world deciding to send me a postcard each day – and the post office decides to charge me a premium for handling all the mail!

How do you stop people from even trying to send you SPAM? I am currently runninga home grown .NET-based app to isolate SPAM sender’s IP addresses so that the ISP can block them.

Anyone else have this problem? What else can you do? When will we finally get real legislation to stop this?

Categories: 1
  1. Geoff Appleby
    September 24, 2004 at 4:16 am

The solution here is quit simple. Cancel your account, then create a new one (with them or elsewhere, it doesn’t matter).

You get a nice clean shiny new email address which receives no spam for a while, and they still get 8000 smtp connections every day with no one to charge, because there’s no active account to deliver the mail to.

If enough people do this, your isp might wake up to itself and look at fixing the problem, rather than looking for a profit.

To be honest, their behaviour is poor enough to switch isp’s anyway. I just think it’s a nice side effect that they end up with the same of traffic that costs them money, and no one to bill πŸ™‚

2. Jonathan Cogley
    September 24, 2004 at 4:27 am

Hmmm … nice idea. I have had the same email address for 7 years though (probably part of the problem!). Also it is really the domain that is being targeted, not just the email address and the domain is necessary for my business – so I can’t get rid of it. 😦

September 24, 2004 at 7:49 am

Dump that email address and use a GMail account. I can send you an invite if you’re interested. Or visit http://isnoop.net/gmailomatic.php for an invite….believe me, its worth it.

4. James Knowles
    September 29, 2004 at 4:25 pm

okay the easy way to solve this is to find an ISP with spam filtering at there core levels.
    There are a few who are using Spam filtering across there whole network. So all your would then need to do is shift your DNS to them and start a new account. In the UK I believe http://www.hostingsystems.co.uk/ Hosting Systems use the same spam filtering software that we do here in my company which is Icritical Software product.

HTH πŸ˜‰

October 4, 2004 at 10:28 pm

They (or you) should consider looking into getting a service like MailRoute http://www.mailroute.net/ or something similar.

You change the MX records for your domain to point to the spam filtering provider’s mail servers, and they only forward the spam-free emails to your real domain mail server.

Or host your mail with someone who has a Barracuda spam filtering appliance or similar hardware in-network.

I’ve not looked into it yet, but with one of my email accounts up to 93% spam, it’s moving higher on my to-do list…

6. Aaron Weiker
    October 9, 2004 at 5:31 am

One of the companies I was doing consulting for did spam filtering and was damn good at it. The cool thing though in this case is that they do the filtering before it get’s to your mail server. This means that you now get a lot less email connections coming in and you get a lot less spam. Another good thing about them was the number of false positives, number of email messages that were blocked which were legitamit. I had very few of these while my email was getting scanned through them (man I miss consulting for them, I miss the free scanning). The company is GatewayDefender (http://www.gatewaydefender.com). I have no stock or interest in the company so there is no benefit for me if you sign up for them. It should also be pretty cheap for you if you only have a few email addresses on your domain. I’m guessing you might have only 5. You should be able to get pricing near $1.50 a user a month. Which works out to less than $100 a year for filtering. And best of all it saves you time and money so you don’t have to try and figure out your own solution.